The first burial in Hillside cemetery was Thomas Aldrich, 16 April 1862. The second recorded burial was Aaron Hunt on 17 April 1867, killed by a fallen tree while clearing his land. Only 2 more burials were recorded in the 1860's.
"Stephen Aldrich had chosen a beautiful spot, the eastern slop of a gentle hill facing the morning sun, as a final resting place for his foster son. It seemed a natural for the people who incorporated the cemetery to name it Hillside"*
* Douglass, a Michigan Township, page 111.
The cemetery was first copied in August 1972 by Mrs. Betty Spooner. Inscriptions after that date were copied by Judy Hardy, Marnie Riley and Jeri Witzel on September 1, 1994. Burial records have been included and are noted as such.
Photographs of all tombstones were added and burial records updated June 2009 by John C. Anderson. Links to over 1300 photographs are included in this collection.